St. David’s House was originally built in the 1920’s with various extensions over the years. The current owners loved the site and character of their home, but the internal spaces were small and awkward, the main entrance entered directly in to the Kitchen and the external massing was piecemeal.
CCD were asked to develop proposals that would provide better reception spaces and unify the building to give it appropriate character for its site and size.
The design included a large extension at the rear, alterations to rationalise the internal spaces, and a new roof which provided additional bedrooms while also providing the house with better massing and presence.
A new entrance enabled the functionality of the house to work with a more appropriate hierarchy of spaces.
The project was carried out in phases to enable the owners to live in the property throughout. The resulting dwelling has kept the best parts of the original 1920’s character within an enlarged yet rationalised house.
The spaces flow well with light and airy reception rooms, five bedrooms with associated bathrooms, a self-contained flat and integrated garage. The new roof design and entrance give the house an appropriate presence on the site.