Belmont House, located on Queens Road, is a fine example of an 1820’s house situated within St. Peter Port, which makes an important contribution to Guernsey’s stock of Regency architecture.
In 2008 our Client approached us with the wish to re-develop the property which had been sub-divided in the 1970s rather unsympathetically. The brief was to strip out all of the alteration works that had been carried out and to retain all the original shell beneath. The primary intention was to keep and restore any period elements which were uncovered, to bring back the external facade to its former glory and at the same time provide 4 new prestigious apartments, which benefited from superior quality finishes and fittings.
The key which makes this building a success is in the reinstatement of its charm and character. This has been achieved through the demolition of unsightly extensions and the careful refurbishment and reinstatement of architectural features and detailing.
These include restoration works to the grand staircase, the windows and the internal shutters, as well as the installation of replacement covings, and the construction of a new central screen/archway which replicates the original. The external façade was reinstated through the application of lime render, the installation of a new slate roof, the careful detailing of lead-work and the conservation and repair of the original cornices and portico.