St. Peter Port Constables, who have been based in the Constables’ Office since the mid 1800’s, were concerned about poor access to the building and the lack of a room large enough for many meetings, but the parishioners had given overwhelming support for use of the existing building to continue.
CCD developed a refurbishment scheme which also involved partial demolition of a less important wing to the building, maintaining the façade in place, and extended in this area to locate a lift and ancillary accommodation. By adjusting the external pavement levels the building could be accessed without negotiating any steps and the lift used to reach each floor level. A large room for meetings was created from two smaller rooms.
The project became a collaborative effort from all involved – the contractor who treated the construction work sensitively, such as preserving wallpaper thought to date from the 1700’s; the structural engineer who designed not only the permanent structure, but also complicated temporary supports and underpinning on this tight town site; the services subcontractor who sensitively integrated contemporary provision within the historic fabric; and the Island statutory authorities who understood and enabled the vision.
Throughout the design and building work great care was taken to treat the Constables’ Office with the respect that a listed building of this age and significance deserves. The project has allowed a much loved building in St. Peter Port to continue to be used for the running of the parish, but with facilities appropriate for current needs.
Project Engineer: Dorey, Lyle & Ashman Limited
Project Contractor: F. Watson and Son Ltd